Saturday, July 27, 2013

Social Media Channels I have attempted

Blogs - I feel that blogs are a way to establish yourself as an expert in whatever field you are pursuing.  Blogs are the biggest way to attract attention and get your name out there.  A majority of those in the social media world says that if you want to make it in this industry, you have to have a blog.  They provide great advice to people and I read many blogs myself, such as the Art of Manliness, the Art of Non-Conformity, and Seth Godin's blog.  I've had multiple attempts at blogging.  I love to write, but I've been trying to find my voice.  In 2002, before I left for the Navy, I gave it a shot, but I couldn't gain any momentum.  When I was in Thailand, I started a blog called Do I like Writing? I saw a TED talk that talked about doing something for 30 days to find out if you like it, so I tried my hand at blogging.  I shared my stories from the Navy and whatever was on my mind.  I like to write and I have a knack for it, but I feel that I can't carry any momentum.  I landed an internship at the National Veterans Art Museum recently and I plan on starting a blog about PTSD to help the public understand PTSD.  Hopefully, since this is work related, I can garner some momentum.

Photo Sharing Sites - I have also got into photography lately and I've been taking a lot of pics with my Nikon D3100 and editing them using LightRoom 5.  I have a Flickr site that can be seen here.  Sharing pictures is a huge deal on social media.  Sites like Instagram and Pinterest are platforms that encourage members to share pictures and create stories.  Everyday, people post their pics on Facebook.  I feel that sites like Flickr and 500px are more for professionals, but people and companies are trying to capitalize on people's desire to share photos. 

Video Sharing Sites - I only have brief experience using video sharing sites; I have only uploaded three videos onto Youtube, mainly my fights and an interview for the online English tutory company I've worked for.  My YouTube channel can be seen here.  YouTube is the largest video sharing site and according to Aids.gov, "it's the 2nd largest search engine, next to Google."  Videos can help a brand go viral.  If a person looks at their Facebook feed, their friends and fan pages are constantly sharing things off of YouTube.          

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    Good analysis of the sites. I watched the video of your first temple fight. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was intense. In a weird way, I miss fighting. Lol.

      Delete