Sunday, August 18, 2013

Does Multimedia Enhance Our Messaging?

The answer to this question is of course it does.  It gets boring to read a bunch of text and the internet has definitely shortened our attention spans.  So to have blocks of text interrupted by pictures and video is definitely a relief on our eyes and our brains.  With the rise of social media networks like Instagram, Pinterest, and Vines, multimedia is becoming a more important component of our messages. 

With all the tools out there, the question becomes, so which tools are the most effective? 

Well, there is Powerpoint.  This link shows how to create dynamic Powerpoint presentations.  But Powerpoint has become cliché.  Personally, it reminds me of boring, stuffy business meetings or my time in the military when our superiors would use Powerpoint to demonstrate key points or safety briefs. It has become the modern version of the slideshow.  I think Powerpoints have become dreaded.  Sure you can use multimedia in Powerpoint slides, but things like audio are only confined to one slide; you cannot carry it on to the entire presentation. 

Before this lesson, I've never heard of Animoto, but looking over at the site, I feel this would be one of the best ways to convey a message.  It seems more fresh and light-hearted than using Powerpoint.  Instead of just going slide by slide like in Powerpoint,  Animoto allows you to add your own personal style to your presentations.  It makes presentations seem less business-y and more fun.  Sure, it's the same concept as a slideshow, but there is more detail to it, like the animations. 

Overall, if I had an excuse to use Animoto, I would definitely use it.  You can add your own personal touch to your presentations, especially if you are marketing to consumers. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,

    I agree with text being boring! I used Powerpoint for years. I'm amazed that for something with so much foundation, they haven't kept it dynamic like Animoto looks to be. I agree it's become cliché, but I suppose I should try it again.

    I'm always looking for new tools so I'll try Animoto. I recently started using Prezi and it's as much fun as anything I've used in years. I'm all but addicted to it.

    ReplyDelete